When they talk about buying or registering a domain name, one of the companies that is recommended most is GoDaddy. It’s a good feeling to buy domain from one of the world’s leading domain registrar besides the comfort and security you get for knowing you are dealing will an ICANN accredited registrar. If you want to buy domain from another registrar then read this article for a general guide. In this article am going to show exactly how to buy domain from GoDaddy but before we get started we are going to look at some of the advantages and disadvantages associated with buying a domain from GoDaddy.
- Friendly user interface. GoDaddy has a very friendly user interface that favors even newbies to use their dashboard with ease.
- Good customer care support. GoDaddy’s customer support used to really suck but the company has made major improvements on that. At the moment they have one of the best customer support services in the domain industry.
- Flexibility. You will buy domain and it will be made ready for you in just minutes. If you transferring your domain to them or from them you are guaranteed your domain will be active in the shortest time possible.
- GoDaddy is verified by ICANN. It’s always recommended buy domain from providers that are accredited by The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and GoDaddy is one of them.
- Unethical Conduct. GoDaddy’s unethical conduct stretches all the was from it’s CEO to the company itself. The company uses a lot of sexual advertisements to promote it’s services. It’s CEO also killed a wild elephant in Zimbabwe in 2011 a clear sign they can’t be trusted. In 2011 GoDaddy also supported SOPPA implicating they weren’t willing to support their customer’s freedom of speech on the internet. It’s only after losing close to 50,000 customers that they had to reverse the decision.
- Hidden Charges. If you are to buy domain from them, a normal domain can cost as less as $1.99 but initially the final charge will be somewhere around $15.00 to $24.50 which is very expensive. Very many people have complained about GoDaddy’s hidden charges but still we haven’t seen any change on their side regarding the issue.
Also Read: Companies that provide cheap web domains
Step by Step guide to buy domain from Godaddy
If you are comfortable with the drawbacks and feel you want to buy domain from them then simply follow the steps below and you will have your domain ready in just minutes.
Step I – Visit Godaddy.com
The first step involves visiting Godaddy’s website and searching for a domain name’s availability. There is a search bar slightly below the menu of their website that can help you search for a domain’s availability.
Step II – Add domain name to Cart
If your domain name is available, it will show or else it won’t. If available simply add the domain to your cart and press ‘continue to cart’.
Step III – Choose Addons
On the next page don’t change much, just press ‘continue to cart’ to navigate to your check out page. In case you wan’t to buy a hosting package for your domain then you can make the configurations on this page. If not leave everything the way it is, scroll down and continue to cart. If you want configure domain privacy then this stage helps you do it as well
Step IV – Verify Items on your Cart
You have to verify the items you have added on your cart before proceeding to check out. This step helps you know exactly what you are paying for. What if you added other products on the cart? they would charge you more than what you expected for a single domain. Use this page to verify you are paying for what you requested and if the checkout matches your domain name fee then click ‘Proceed to Checkout’ on the right menu of the page.
Step V – Confirm the transaction
The last step involves confirming the transaction, If you already have an account with Godaddy then login and confirm the transaction then the domain fee will be automatically deducted from the payment option you provided while signing up. If you are not a member yet then you have to create an account and enter valid payment details before you can confirm the transaction.
If the transaction is successful, an email with the transaction details will be sent to the email address you provided while registering for a new account. Check your email address after a few minutes and you should be having ownership of the domain. From here you can then login to your dashboard and change name servers in case you are using a different web host to host your website but if you sign up for a web hosting package with GoDaddy then all this will automatically be set for you.
That’s all you need to know when it comes to buy domain from GoDaddy. Godaddy’s domains are said to be cheaper or even the cheapest compared to the ones from other providers which i strongly doubt because of the hidden charges incurred during the transaction.